Imprint | 

Molsdorf Palace Gardens

 
Statue of Hercules
Lapidarium: Main water basin
Blooming agapanthus

Today’s Palace Gardens at Molsdorf conjoin in a very special way the atmosphere of a landscape park with traces of a prestigious Baroque garden ensemble. The park thus provides a telling example of the far-reaching changes in garden design through the centuries.

Gustav Adolph von Gotter, who acquired the estate in 1734, laid out the gardens and converted the former moated castle into a pleasure palace to create a total work of art in the Baroque style.
South of the palace’s new garden facade, the gardens were laid out in the architectural arrangement fashionable at the time. Historic plans attest to the classical sequence of low “broderie” parterres arranged centrally in front of the palace followed by bosket enclosures. The garden was in addition outfitted with waterworks and numerous statues.

When Molsdorf passed into the possession of the Dukes of Sachsen-Gotha at the end of the 18th century, the gardens were redesigned by court gardener Johann Rudolph Eyserbeck, who had trained in Wörlitz. Elements of a landscape park, such as curving paths and an irregularly shaped pond, were added, and some of the canals were filled in.
A few architectural elements and statues were incorporated into the new design.
The Baroque main axis leading southward was maintained as sightline in the landscape park and recast in the new style. In front of the palace, the parterres were replaced with pleasure grounds made up of sweeping lawns dotted with flowerbeds.

Contact

Schlossverwaltung
Schloss Molsdorf
Schlossplatz 6
99094 Erfurt

Phone: +49 (0)3 62 02 / 2 20 85

E-Mail
Internet