The Tiefurt Palace Park stretches 4 kilometres from east of Weimar and occupies an area of 4-hectare to both sides of River Ilm.
Rolling sloppy meadow with beautiful groves stretches across the Little Palace near Kammergut to River Ufer. It grows over closely with the trees on the other side of the cliff. Memorials and park architecture invite everyone for exploration.
Garden art, country life and literature are responsive to a special intimate connection in the Tiefurt Park. The Park is the authority of its current extension in multiple development stages.
From 1775 Prince Friedrich Ferdinand Constantin, the younger brother of the governance Duke Carl August von Sachsen-Weimar and Eisenach, together with his tutor Karl Ludwig von Knebel laid an English country park. Meandering paths were laid together with the first park architecture and seating, and various types of plants were cultivated. After Constantin’s departure to Weimar in 1781, Duchess Anna Amalia moved her summer residence to Tiefurt and continued to develop the park step by step.
These developments included the Leopold memorial, the Greek Cenotaph for Constantin who died young, the Mozart memorial, the Herder stone, the Temple of Muses and the Tea Salon.
During this time, Tiefurt became a social centre for the court of Weimar and its guests. A convivial social life developed featuring recitals, literary evenings and even a local newsletter, the “Journal of Tiefurt”. However, Tiefurt fell silent when the mansion was plundered by French troops in 1806 and after Anna Amalia’s death in 1807.
Tiefurt was restored to its former glory only with the extensive renovation and redesign of the park between 1846 and 1850 carried out by the Weimar court gardener Eduard Petzold. The Park complex has conserved its original closeness and character as an early country park which also inherits the sensitive post-classic movement. Tiefurt Mansion and Park are listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1998.