Fuerstlich Greizer Park in eastern Thuringia is one of the most appealing landscape gardens in Central Germany. After Heinrich XI from the elder line of the House of Reuss had a Summer Palace built here starting in 1769, the existing Baroque pleasure garden was transformed step-by-step into a landscape park, beginning with planting a so-called “Pinetum”, a collection of rare conifers.
Groves of trees with foliage in contrasting hues were laid out like stage backdrops across the rambling park, creating carefully planned vistas, such as the sightline leading to the White Cross set in the forest above the palace complex. While toward the north the park verges on agricultural fields in keeping with the concept underlying its design, the area immediately surrounding the summer palace features a flower garden with flower basket and pleasure grounds. The plantings at Fuerstlich Greizer Park exhibit an extraordinary variety of tree and shrub species, making it not only an outstanding witness to the history of garden design but also a one-of-a-kind botanical treasure.
The Summer Palace and park were distinguished in 2009 with the designation “cultural monument of national significance”.